What Paint Colors Go With Gray Furniture?

I have to give credit to gray. For a color that is so neutral and really neither here nor there it’s really holding its own and STILL a very sought after hue. People want gray in their homes but sometimes get stumped when they have to tie in the rest of their decor to liven up this *quiet hue. So what colors go with gray and how can we jazz up our homes when gray is the feature color?

CR Laine

The obvious choice is to add wall color to coordinate with your gray furniture. You can do so much with gray furniture, the options are really endless. But what paint color is the best choice to cooridinate with gray furniture? Here are some Sherwin Williams colors that go with gray.

Looking at these colors you’ll see Fashionable Gray which will give you a monochromatic, classy look. It’s light, soft and versatile since it’s a fairly quiet color. You off course can incorporate more color into your room with pillows, throws, art and area rugs to bring in just tad more interest to your room. Have fun with this floral damask for drapery or if you’re not that brave, pillows would be perfect.

Manitou Blue is the “in” color now and even a darker navy is an excellent choice but just about any blue will look amazing with gray. The “Re-Blue” as CMG refers to it adds a nice spin on the already very popular blues that we all love.

Now Moroccan Brown is probably a color that you wouldn’t consider for your home but think about it for a minute. What if you have this Berkshire leather chair in your living room? It would look pretty impressive wouldn’t it? I would certainly use a warmer gray fabric for your furniture to tie in the yellow tones or warmness of this particular leather. Can’t you just see yourself sitting in that chair? Cozy.

Fired Brick red will be the hue for you if you want a bolder more modern feel. This red will definitely be the focus in the room so you will really need a super quite piece of furniture to take back stage to this strong color.

So, when you’re purchasing furniture for your home, considering gray is just smart. Like I said earlier, you can dress it up or keep it traditional. There is so much you can do with gray so invest in the best furniture you can afford but also, color is key here.

*Quiet color – when I refer to a “quiet color” it usually just either a soft color or a neutral color that you really don’t notice right off the bat.

Virtual Color Expert Spiritual Channel and Intuitive Writer
This entry was posted in Color and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to What Paint Colors Go With Gray Furniture?

1. floridaysmom says:

I’ve jumped on the gray-band wagon..maybe even a bit overkill, but I love it and it really does go with everything. I’ve mixed it with turquoise and bright orange in my living room with dark woods as well as lime and navy in my sons room…it really is that perfect color.

Sounds beautiful! Turquoise, great accent color to go with it. That’s actually my next blog post :-)

3. Pingback: Color Trend + Color Trend = Fabulous! | Decorating by Donna • Charlotte's Color Specialist

4. archadeckofcharlotte says:

Great post, informative information for our clients!

Thanks Eric and that is one of my most popular posts. Gray is still a very popular color trend.

6. Haley says:

Help! My once gray couch turned an awful green whenever we moved! We don’t have animals or smoke, So it has to be lighting and color related. The bulbs are super bright in the new place. I’m so in love with my couches (they have an aztec print to them with black and white as well) I REALLY can’t see myself getting rid of them. Any ideas about how to get my gray back?? Thanks! We are tinking accent colors of blues and either Moroccan red or yellow. Advice appreciated!

Your sofa turned green? Sounds like it may have been too close to a window and the UV got it? Try using different lighting your home or repaint your walls to play off or work with your green sofa. Unless you can replace your sofa, I have no idea how to make it gray again. Sorry!

8. Rose says:

I have a condo. I have a gray sectional sofa probably like silver gray or gun metal gray (light to medium color), cherry wood floors, cherry wood cabinets in kitchen with green backsplash, white book case. I am looking for a beige to paint the walls. I don’t want to use gray because Iam using greige color in the bedroom walls. What beige would you suggest? I was going to paint the wallsl simplify beige by Sherwin Williams? I know that has a pink undertone but now I am not sure it will work. What do you think and do you have other suggestions for paint? Is there a cream color that might work, I don’t want to go dark on the walls. Please help

I’d look into the beige’s that have a green undertone. That’ll look best with your red (mahogany) flooring. Try Inner Balance from Benjamin Moore.

10. alilevin11 says:

I just purchased a light gray vanity from home depot but am totally stumped on what color to paint the bathroom! Will a darker gray wall be overkill? It’s a light gray vanity with a bright white sink. Thinking a darker flooring, too. But those walls are just stumping me! Love a bright color accent with bath towels, etc.. too. Any thoughts? Thanks for your post! It’s helpful!

Thoughts? Oodles! I’d like to start with not using gray for a wall color. Since your vanity is already gray you can really use so many colors.

Have you seen Paradise Found by Voice of Color? I’m really pushing greens now and the sage greens will be a nice transition along gray. Try it and see how you like it.

12. alilevin11 says:

Thank you! I will check it out! I was totally going to go with a dark gray but let me check this out!

Keep in mind you have many options. Gray is still a neutral and you have a white sink so think color :-) Dare I say Coral? Yes, I said Coral :-)

14. Janette Sayer says:

I have a new Dove Gray (light velvet gray) upholstered headboard with brass colored nail head wings in my room and am trying to figure out if I want to paint, and if so what color (faux or solid) or wallpaper the accent wall. Thinking maybe a beige with gold highlights. Not sure. Any awesome suggestions?

I always have awesome suggestions :-)

Be careful with gray and gold or beige together. Unless it’s a warm gray, it’s going to look weird.

I’m all for solid painting and not faux but then again, that would depend on what type of faux you want.

This is why I hesitate to answer some color questions here. If I don’t have pictures, location and color names, I can’t professionally suggest colors for you. This is why I have a Virtual Color Color consultations available. Some are just $85 for a basic – which I just helped someone who needed advice on brown – and the pricing goes up if you need color for your entire house.

So sorry I’m not too much of a help here. Feel free to contact me via email if you need detailed information.

ps – there are MANY colors other than beige that look way better with gray. Just sayin’ :-)

16. Janette Sayer says:

Ugh I know, I am sure anything would look better than what I picture. Here is the headboard. http://www.costco.com/.product.100115545.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-CategoryTopProducts&cm_vc=categorypageHorizontalTop|CategoryTopProducts

Well the good thing about the headboard Janette is that it’s a neutral color. You can use just about any wall color with that. Do something fun and unexpected, try a gray with a slight lavender tint to it.