If We Break Gray, What Will the New Neutral Be?

Gray seems to have replaced beige in the “go to neutral’ which is fine with me. There are so many variations of gray that will really please just about everyone so it may be around for a little while longer. I’m wondering, is too much a of a good thing bad? Are we breaking gray right now?

The only great thing about gray is that it goes with all the other “colors of the year”. How long before we get tired of gray? Gray walls, gray furniture, gray carpeting, gray this, gray that.  If we break gray, what will the new neutral be?

Blue is still going hot and heavy and I have a feeling that gray will be long gone before blue even starts to show a wrinkle. What if a super pale blue comes the new neutral for the home? Everyone is crazy about blue and I can so see this happening.

What about if a really pale green becomes the new neutral?  Not so much. Green is having a bit of trouble with some staying power these days and I just don’t think it has enough bones to stand up to a predecessor of gray … or does it?

light-green-living-room

There are only so many true neutrals to use and I don’t think we should go back to beige. What hue do you see coming in after we’re done breaking gray?

This entry was posted in Color, Gray and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to If We Break Gray, What Will the New Neutral Be?

1. Jodi Horner says:

The blue is good. I have a friend who said greige and always greige. Not even sure what that is because doesn’t it have to lean one way or the other?

2. I love gray…it can be almost white like our top kitchen cupboards but not as stark or a dark graphite shade, or an industrial shade of cement or a refined silver. I really don’t think I’ll ever get tired of it as it offers so many options. 🙂

Greige is a strange hue Jodi. It’s like a taupe or teal. It’s a combination of two colors and really not a specific enough. Greige is too close to beige and just looks like a dirty gray to me. Either your beige or your gray. Not a fan of greige.

And that’s why it has such longevity. I love that it can be coupled with bright pinks or sexy purples and still look amazing. We’ll see how far it goes!

5. I don’t think gray is going anywhere. I think the gray will live on, but with touches of different colors: green-gray, blue-gray, etc….

6. Jodi Horner says:

Even the name “greige” *sounds* dirty!

That’s because it is. LoL

And that’s how the new neutrals will be found! It will be a derivative from gray but the undertone will change.

9. I have to agree with you Donna as I am seeing both warm and cool gray’s. This may sound weird but its almost as if the trends are stuck in a “color twilight zone” not sure if the new warms are the way or not. I think that’s why things seem eclectic these days. However I am only an artist and not a professional designer.

10. Now see, I like “greige”. It’s for those of us that are a little “beigey”, but we are trying to broaden our horizons a bit. Gray seems so cold by itself. Don’t get me wrong, I like it in other peoples homes. I just can’t take the plunge in my own.

11. Jodi Horner says:

Here’s a leap I’ve had to make: I actually *look* terrible in gray. But I’ve decided that since beige gives me a visceral response I have to go gray! I love the contrast.

Yea but you have an impeccable eye for both color and design Arthur. As far as gray, it’s a color that I just wouldn’t have in my home. I gravitate towards warm undertones which are super cozy for the home. I like the “warms”.

Me too, and even worse in black.

14. Jodi Horner says:

Donna–if I’m not mistaken you are an “autumn” as am I. 🙂 [Color Me Beautiful a la 1980’s anyone?]

That’s for sure!!!!!

16. Jodi Horner says:

I think it was this post that started me in following your blog and I wanted to show you my work on the kids’/guest bathroom of our home. It’s afternoon light so growing a bit dim. I put a line of white to divide the two colors since I have no idea when hubby will have time to do the chair rail. I’m pleased with the result but boy does painting textured walls take time! Colors are Glidden Wood Smoke on top and Martha Stewart Zinc on the bottom.

17. Pingback: A LOOKBOOK . . . In Grayscale | Artzzle

18. Pingback: 4 Reasons Coastal Colors are Perfect For Your Home | Decorating by Donna • Charlotte's Color Specialist

19. Pingback: Neutral Paint Colors Improve a Home's Marketability | CraftPro

Well Benjamin Moore just released their color for 2015 and it’s Guilford Green. How ’bout them apples?

21. Pingback: Neutral Paint Colors Improve a Home's Marketability | CraftPro

I painted my kitchen guillford green with linen white cabinetry and red accents…looks fab!

Sounds like a nice blend of color. Great way to start the day in the kitchen!

24. Hope Ort says:

That’s great since I’ve been leaning towards greens lately. I love the accents of yellow and cream with my green.

A+ for you being on the color trend for 2017 🙂