When Is Gray Not A Gray?

Does your gray turn blue?

When it’s blue! Colors change with the light of day so be really careful when choosing your grays because you’re bound to be a little blue from time to time if you choose Uncertain Gray.

uncertain_gray

I just visited a client yesterday who had this color in their living room. They were actually looking for a gray and thought this would be a good choice, after all, it clearly says “gray” in the name.

After they painted their two story living room and looked at their new color they were surprised to find out that it was really more blue than gray.

uncertain_gray_living_room

“We thought we would get a gray!” they said. I responded with a “well you will, sometimes.”

I know that sounds silly but some colors, especially these muted hues, change like a crazy chameleon! Lighting really plays such a tremendous role in viewing any color. The funny thing is that Uncertain Gray looks grayer on the chip but when I held it up to their painted wall, it was a perfect match. This is one of those times when I too scratch my head in disbelief.

Uncertain Gray is really a great color and a popular one at that but be warned, it will look more blue than gray. Don’t let the name fool you. Just because it says “gray” in the name doesn’t mean it’s a gray. Is this a true blue? Heck no! Is it a true gray. Nope. It’s clearly “uncertain” exactly what color this is but I can tell you, it’s a winner.

This entry was posted in Color, Sherwin Williams and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to When Is Gray Not A Gray?

1. Shelby McQuilkin says:

Great article, Donna! I’m looking at some grays for my place and I DO NOT want to end up with blue. I’m tacking the paint chips on the wall and seeing what they look like during different times of day and also what they look like up against other colors.

Oh I’d love to know the names of those grays! Some look green, some look blue and some look lavender. Let me know which one you choose.

3. Fantastic information, Donna. Paint names are fun, but don’t always completely describe the actual colors. Recently, in searching for dark greens with someone, she liked a Sherwin Williams color, Country Squire (SW 6475). It’s listed in the Greens category and is a gorgeous color. BUT further research showed it to have more blue than green, and it wasn’t at all what she wanted.

Your posts are always so helpful for everyone.
    Thanks for sharing, and wishes to all for a safe, happy Memorial Day Weekend.

It’s funny about 6475 Cheryl. I chose a similar color for my clients pool room and she said it was too green. These “teal” colors are at the cusp of going either way. One shift of lighting can and will make a world of difference to either side. Thanks for liking my blog! It means a lot to me xo

5. Shelby McQuilkin says:

I’ll let know!!!

6. sabinalakhi says:

The availability of varying Gray’s on the market is enough to drive one insane. It is always advisable to run a course of samples on site – to ensure you select the perfect shade of gray.

This is true! You would think that choosing gray would be easy – NOT – so much to consider and sampling is always highly recommend.

8. Frankie says:

We have Uncertain Grey in our kitchen, living room, and hallway. What colors would you recommend for our dining and family room? I’m looking for something that will flow nicely through our downstairs
    Thank you!

Oh that can be so many colors! It depends on what color your flooring is, your kitchen countertops, your deco – I like to tie everything in. However, Uncertain Grey is a cool gray so you’ll have to stick to cool tones. I know I didn’t help much here but I’d really need to see your home before I can suggest some colors for you.

10. Frankie says:

Our floors are a natural cherry wood and our granite countertops have yellows, Browns,cream, and flecks of black in it. Not sure if that’s helpful or not. I don’t want to have grey (or blue) overload but I do like Revere Pewter and colors similar to that

Did you try sampling the colors you like? I also don’t know where you live so that also factors in. Sounds like a Virtual Color Consultation may help you. Email me at: DecoratingbyDonna@mac.com