4 Reasons Coastal Colors are Perfect For Your Home

Love coastal colors? Come read why they are perfect for your home.

I’ve been designing coastal color palettes for clients for a really, really long time! It’s one of the color palettes that are just such a huge part of me, since I was born and raised on Long Island and know them so well. When you’re around water, boats, sand, sun and gorgeous sunrises and sunsets, those hues are forever embedded in your mind.

I’ll be posting about coastal colors probably 80% of the time now so let me know if you have any questions about soothing hues and how to get them in your home. Meanwhile, come read my 4 reasons why coastal colors are perfect for your home.

coastal_color_sunrise

YOU CAN FIND SOFT NEUTRAL COLORS FOR YOUR FOYER

foyer_colors

The coastal sunrise as seen in the photograph, has such perfect color choices for your foyer. Typically, soft or lighter colors are chosen for the foyer since it is in such a large part of the home and intersects with other rooms, particularly in open floor plans. It’s always good to chose a “neutral” for the foyer and then branch out with color from there. Also keep in mind that neutral colors aren’t just white and beige. You can have a neutral color with a blue undertone, pink, yellow or gray just like you see here.

YOU CAN FIND RELAXING COLORS FOR YOUR BEDROOM

We all want to feel relaxed in our bedrooms and what better hues to use? Blues, grays and lavender are the colors that you see at sunrise and are prefect to de-stress the bedroom. Like the foyer colors, they have a softness to them which is just want you want when you’re looking for colors to soothe. Combine these colors with a soft white trim and ceiling to complete the look.

bedroom_colors

YOU CAN FIND DECOR JUST ABOUT ANYWHERE TO COORDINATE

Now that’s a BIG plus! You’re not the only one who loves coastal color, the retail stores know that too and sell everything from bedding to lighting with those coastal hues in mind. You can incorporate blue, green, gray, cream, whites and beige in your decor. It’s a win-win!

coastal_decor

YOU WON’T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT RESALE

I’ve had so many clients who love coastal colors and want them in their home but will be selling their home in a few years. They’re worried that there may be too much color for the next homeowner. Guess what? I can bet that just about everyone that looks at your home will fall in love with the coastal color palette and will be thankful that they don’t have to repaint the home. This color palette I designed has been VERY popular for years now for both clients that have just moved into their home and for people who are selling.

coastal_colors_staging_that_sellsDon’t forget to bookmark this website so you can come back and read more about the coastal home. It’s going to be so relaxing!

This entry was posted in Color. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to 4 Reasons Coastal Colors are Perfect For Your Home

1. Pingback: Virtual Design in Progress | Decorating by Donna • Charlotte's Color Specialist

2. Deb Spharler says:

What are the actual paints that are displayed under #4? I really like the color shown for a living room.

Aren’t they gorgeous! So many people just those coastal hues and being from Long Island, they are forever embedded in my life as well. Deb, I have a service call Color Ala Carte where you can purchase any of my color palettes for just $15 each color – for any color! The service is listed on the top of this blog in the black tabs if you’d like more information.

4. Pingback: Can We PLEASE Have 50 Shades of Brown? | Decorating by Donna • Charlotte's Color Specialist

5. OR you could just save the color pallete that you like and color match each color using your favorite paint brand color matching app (which is 100% free) and save that 15 dollar per color!!!! Use that 15 for the paint 🙂 🙂

Well yes you could do that but you’d be in the ballpark of 80% correct if you’re lucky. You can’t put a color matching app up to a computer monitor and expect a color match. If you can’t afford the $15 per color, than maybe you don’t need the color that badly. You can also try your eye at it yourself and see how close you come. Try it – it’s fun but make sure your undertones are corrected. Mixing pinky undertone’s with yellow undertones are the worst. Thanks!

100% free but maybe 80% correct. I don’t recommend color matching to a computer monitor. Try it and see how close you come. You may be happy with the results.

8. I wasn’t suggesting anything, just giving the lady above a second option if she couldnt afford the 15 dollars to simply know the name of a paint color. I mean, I know several people that work on very strict budgets, but that don’t mean they shouldn’t paint because of that.
    Also, I didn’t suggest holding the color matching app to a computer monitor. For those working on their iPads or phones can screenshot/save the color pallet they like, then simply open it up in their color matching apps (Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams, both great and free). I, as well as others have found this to work beautifully.

Just food for thought. 🙂

Well than that’s good free advice 🙂

10. Pingback: Paint Companies. The Good. The Bad. The Ugly | Decorating by Donna • Color Expert

11. wow! Ive been pinteresting paint colours and designs for a few years now and have never had anyone not give up the paint colour ….and to suggest someone can’t afford $15 is just plain rude. Did you ever think people might not want to pay 15$ for something that might look different in their home in comparison to the image online?

Some Designers do, some don’t. If people would like to purchase the right color and undertone for their home there is a $15 charge (per color) for that. I also have a Color Coach option for $45 via email that is helpful because you can send me pictures so I’ll be able to suggest the right color of you. I have several services and you can read them in detail in the SERVICE tab at the top of this blog.

13. Alyson says:

I understand you wanting to advertise your business on Pinterest, however this is a forum where people place things they like, or that are interesting, or informative that are FREE. Here is a free suggestion for you: post two to four colors with the names of the paint colors; happy pinners. State what you do and provide a link to your web site; happy, curious pinners who want to know more about what you provide. When you GIVE something without a price attached to it, you are more likely to GET something, like new customers. Happy FREE pinning!

Alyson, Pinterest is also for selling merchandise or products. I sell color. I use Pinterest to show color palettes that I like and that I think people may like in their home. At that point they are directed to this sight where there are links and instructions to purchase any color they want, otherwise they can continue on and pin away.

To Angie, as a painter, you can take this right to any Benjamin Moore or Lowes and they can match these colors to a tee. thanks

That’s not exactly true. How will the paint stores color match something in an electronic file? I was a color matcher for years back in the day and it was rare that it would come out just like the original paint color – and forget it if you had to get additional paint years down the road. From expertise and computer calibration, a true color match is rare. I also have that on all my invoices. I don’t guarantee any colors that are matched. Sometimes it just pays to get it done the right way.

I would pay $15 for a grouping of colors but not for each

I think for this popular coastal color palette, $15 each or $90 for 6 colors is very reasonable. Think of what you’d had a Designer to come to your home to choose these for you. It’s actually a savings.

Keep in mind with just these 6 colors you just about have a compete color palette for your entire home. That’s a good deal for $90. I know when I go to my clients homes, color palettes like this are much more expensive. Here, online, is a place to save you money.

It all depends on what type of home you have an how much you want to spend for upgrades. Some people are very happy with what they find on Pinterest for free and that’s good too!

19. Cher says:

Think about it: you’re served up a palette on a platter because Donna has already done all the hard work of narrowing down colors and combining them in a successful palette. Thanks, Donna, for such a pretty combination of colors!

Color … made to order! Thank you Cher 🙂

You can go to Sherwin Williams and get little brochures for free that match different colors together. There’s coastal, brights, Americana, etcetc, with sample rooms and different shades labeled in each

Yes you can, for sure but those colors are not the best if you have an open floor plan. If you look at my color palettes, they all have the same soft feel so when your room opens up to 5 rooms at the same time, they transition well and gently from room to room.

23. Danielle says:

Hi Donna.
    What is the name of the living room and kitchen color in the coastal colors that sell pallet?
    Thanks!
    Danielle

Danielle, they don’t have a name – yet. These are “made to order” color palettes. I just present a palette to the public and they can be named in just about any paint company you want. So to answer your question, that name would depend on what paint your are using. Please email me if you need further assistance.

25. Connie Hertel says:

My condo: entryway— kitchen to the left —-

Dining room —- living room

I am planning on painting using your coastal
    Neutral (entry), gray/blue (kitchen), blue (dining),
    Neutral (hallway), tan/beige (living room).

Your thoughts? Florida condo

They are good thoughts! Send me an email so we can plan this a little better and talk about your options. DecoratingbyDonna@mac.com

27. Jane says:

I don’t understand why the paint colors and numbers are listed in the final scheme. Did I miss them somewhere?

Hi Jane – thanks for visiting my blog. No you didn’t miss the paint names, I usually don’t list them. You see, as a Color Specialist, this is what I do for a living and if I made beautiful graphics like these AND listed the names, I’d put myself out of work. Other Designers list the color names because they are full blown Interior Designers – which I used to be. Since the last 10 years, my niche is just color. That’s is why I usually don’t list the names. Feel free to email me if you are interested in any of my palettes and I can offer you the names for just $15 a color via my Color Ala Carte service. I hope that helps 🙂

29. June says:

I want mountain colors for my whole house

Me too … and I’m almost there 🙂