When we are forced to stay home for our safety, our home suddenly takes on a new impression. When every day now feels like a Saturday, how does your home feel to you? What would you change or wish you had? What would you wish you didn’t have? I’ll share my thoughts with you.
1 – NETFLIX: First of all, I’d like to thank Netflix. Since I work from home, Netflix has always been my saving grace. I rarely, if ever, watch regular TV because I can’t stand all the commercials. On any ordinary day before COVID-19 reared its ugly face, I basically stuck to a schedule and “tried” to save Netflix time for my at-home lunch break somewhere around noon. I’d hit the PAUSE button until my office work was done and was able to resume Netflix from any given device. That is heaven to me. Having said that, this brings me to the next home resign element.
2 – THE SOFA. I thank GOD that I purchased two new sofas about two years ago. It’s big, soft, and I can fully stretch out with room to spare. My feet don’t even come close to the armrest and I’m 5’5”. Talk about comfort. Allelujah. Allelujah. Allelujah! Ok before I say too many Allelujah’s, there one thing about the sofa that I’d like to tweak, and that brings me to #3.
3 – SNACK TABLES. Will someone PLEASE make a decent TV tray, snack table, whatever you want to call it. Yes, we are having more of our meals on our sofa as we watch TV. My biggest complaint here? The TV tables I have now look like something off the Roseanne show and I can’t go shopping to replace them at this time. It’s bad enough I’m dining on my sofa which has YUK written all over it but the TV tables just make it worse. They are wobbly, ugly and it’s awkward to eat in a semi proper manner because of how soft the sofa is and how high the tables are.
4 – VINYL PLANK FLOORING – Last year I replaced ALL the nasty flooring on the first floor on my home with vinyl plank. I can’t tell you enough how this was a saving grace. First off, I can’t stand 12×12 ceramic tile in the kitchen or anywhere in the house. Grout is the work of the devil because it always looks dirty and tile is just cold to the touch which is horrible on those chilly mornings. This flooring looks like wood, feels like wood and IMO, is better than wood. It doesn’t scratch, fade when the southern sun is beaming on it and talk about easy to clean! I have five cats and I sweep every other day. I shudder to think what I WASN’T picking up when I had nasty area rugs or tile because I couldn’t see it. Look at that flooring – pretty darn awesome don’t you think? I know you’re probably thinking real wood is better. No, it’s not. Have a dog? Bet you have tons of scratches on your precious wood. Have fun refinishing that.
7 – EXERCISE EQUIPMENT. Not every home has space for a treadmill or a stationary bike. It’s also not always feasible to go outside for a walk or run. Since you have some time to think about the whole exercise thing and see your middle a little better every day, you may have come with some innovative ways to get your body moving. Here’s what I’ve discovered.
- Before getting out of bed in the morning, the bed is the perfect place to do Pilates. If you have a pillow top mattress, it’s even better. There is 100% support for your neck and spine. You may never go back to that thin, hard yoga matt you all have been putting on your hard floor. Try this. It’s awesome.
- Have stairs? Stairs are a great place to do leg lifts and push-ups. Get a few of these every day and see how good you feel.
- No stairs? Go to your kitchen counter and do some push-ups while standing. Place your hands on the edge of the granite and pump those arms.
- Have an open floor plan home? Start walking, around and around and around. My kitchen, dining room, and living room is one big space. Here I can walk in a circle in my home hitting all three of these rooms. I would suggest reversing your direction every third lap or so. Do this for at least 30 minutes and have your tunes blasting away in your headset.
- Have a big yard? Go for a run. I don’t have a huge yard but it’s landscaped so I can walk in a circle in and out trees and along paths that make me feel I’m in a park.
- The list can go on and on. Lift water jugs in place of weights at the gym and on the fun side, get the old hula hoop out for some cardio.
8 – PLANTS – This is a given. Bringing the outdoors in will benefit you and your home in so many ways. From refreshing the air to uplifting your spirits, adding greenery will not only look good but it will make you feel good as well. It’s a great hobby with benefits.
9 – SPA DAYS – I can’t tell you enough how this next suggestion is so important. Yes, ladies I know, I miss the spa too but please don’t neglect yourself because you can’t leave the house. Make sure you look your best every day because if you don’t look good you’re not going to feel good. I may be in loungewear every day but I do put makeup on otherwise I look like death. Pink lipstick is the best!
- Salt baths are a must, must, must. Fill up your tub with hot water and two huge handfuls of Epsom Salt. Add a few drops of your favorite essential oils, I use Sage, turn on your tunes or no tunes at all, and chill. This is great for the mind, body and spirit. Do this three times a week. Trust me, you’ll feel better. Oh and about those PJ’s you’re wearing … yea, try Soma Intimates, Cool Nights Collection. They are worth their weight in gold.
Last but not least, #10 PERSONAL SPACE. All these points are important but this one really is. Does your home have a room that you can call your own? Maybe the kids flew the nest and you can transform their room into your Shangri-La? As we all remain cooped up in the home for who knows how long, quiet time ALONE is vital. Find a space in your home that you can call your own. Even if it’s just one section of a room, just a chair, that everyone knows is yours. When you sit in that chair, it’s the “don’t bother me zone.” Sure you have the bathroom for a spa day but a bathroom is a bathroom. Turn your scared space into something that you love. Fill it with books, crystals, plants, pictures, music, or nothing at all. Enjoy your quiet time, a little every day.
Ok my friends, this list can go on and on but these are a few things that I think about on a daily basis. I hope you find a little light and joy in some of these suggestions and remember, take care of yourself in mind, body, and spirit. The intuitive mind ignites the intuitive home.
Hi Donna, love this post! In fact I’ve been combing through your site a lot today lol. Can you please tell me the brand and color vinyl wood planks you got in the picture above? I’ve been looking for many months and I love the look of yours! I’m sold on it too for our 2 dogs and 2 cats 😀
I LOVE my flooring! I got it from a local flooring place, no big box stores, so I can’t give you the exact name and color. Shop the look at your local flooring places and I will tell you this, Lowe’s will NOT install this product unless they rip out all the sub flooring which is BS. This product is designed to go OVER tile and wood – mine is – and it’s perfect! Thank you so much!
I’m so sorry, I finally found another post where you said it was SmartCore, but couldn’t recall the name. I will comb through the options haha. Has it held up nicely for you? We can be hard on floors with chasing dogs (large) and in pre-covid days lots of people over (someday again I hope!)
I think SmartCore is the Lowe’s brand – we didn’t buy if from Lowe’s because they wouldn’t do the install or guarantee it. We purchased local. I love it, love it, love it! It looks like the day we installed it, easy to clean and very durable. I will always have it in my homes, never any type of wood, except cork, again.
Thank you so much! That’s good to hear. ❤
You’ll love it – and your family will too!
I love this post, I can’t wait to read your other posts. You have such great taste in decorating.
Pingback: How Does A Virtual Color Consultation Work? | Decorating by Donna • Intuitive Color Expert
Pingback: Questions and Answers About Your Virtual Color Consultations | Decorating by Donna • Intuitive Color Expert
Pingback: How Can I Get Professional Color For My Home? | Decorating by Donna • Intuitive Color Expert